Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life and Times around Maastricht

I've been just blogging about my trips lately, and figured I should touch on the cool stuff we've been doing here in Maastricht the last two weeks!

Last week was a LOT of homework and projects etc., but we did make time for some fun. Last Tuesday, the 9th, was my Dad's 50th birthday!! We had planned out ahead of time to skype for birthday cake, which we indeed did! It was fun to still feel like I was there, celebrating etc. Doug even called while the Mankato crew was skyping me, so all five of us were kind of 'there' at the same time. That was cool!!

That same night, I was invited, last minute, to an International Dinner. It was hosted by an organization at the University that's for International students, and different from the Exchange Student Network (ESN) that puts on most events we've attended as exchange students. We were able to eat food from Africa, Argentina, Turkey and more! It was ALL delicious!!! We each took a little of everything, and it was much more filling than I anticipated. Afterward, we did a wine tasting, of five different wines from five different countries. We learned how to rate the color, smell and taste of the wine. As anyone that's ever done a wine tasting or is already wine connoisseur knows - you must swirl the wine to get the effect. Well, I found out I'm a bit too enthusiastic of a swirler, and spilled multiple times to the entertainment of my friends. My score sheet for the wines was a masterpiece by the end of the evening with red and purple dried splotches. I kept it! :) We met a lot of fun people that night!!

This week, the homework load has been extremely light, so I've been more social at night than usual! :) Every week on Tuesday, the ESN (mentioned above) hosts a themed party at a local student bar, the Twee Herren. This Tuesday, which I THOUGHT would have been about St. Patrick's Day, was a 'Pirate' themed party. Only about 10% of people dress up, so it's always humorous to see what people end up wearing. We were in the other 90% that evening. But we had a great night dancing, as they finally were playing American music more than European disco/techno. American music is just a bit more exciting to dance too, and everyone in Europe knows the lyrics just like we do! Very fun.

Tonight I'm going to a big dinner cooked by a friend of ours, Brandon, who's from Purdue. His hallway rotates who cooks for everyone, and tonight he's doing the cooking and invited us to join! Should be fun!

Thinking of all the U of M'ers who are on Spring Break right now...been seeing their comments or status on Facebook about what fun location they're enjoying for the week. It's getting me excited for my next two big trips upcoming...

The weekend of March 26th-29th, I'll be in Ireland! And not with the usual group - I will be meeting up with my parents!!!!! It was Dad's Christmas present to Mom, and they'll be enjoying an entire week in Dublin and other small towns close by. I'm joining them for the first few days of their trip. Getting VERY excited, as Ireland was at the VERY top of my list of places to see, and I also get to see Mom and Dad!! :) More details to come about that trip as it gets closer.

And - for OUR Spring Break, we're going to Spain!!! We JUST booked the trip this week, and will be gone from April 2-April 10. We'll be flying to Barcelona first, then taking the train/bus to Valencia, then again to Seville, and finally to Malaga. We'll then fly home from Malaga. Our group is going to be Carolyn, Theresia, me and then our Canadian friend, Ryan. It'll be fun to have a boy on our trips again, as James made things fun back on the Paris trip. Keeps all the estrogen in check. :) As THAT trip gets closer, more details will come. It's RIGHT after exams end, so we'll all be free from homework/exam stress and can really enjoy the trip. The weather is supposed to be about 60 degrees and I can't wait to be sitting outside in the sunshine!!

That's all the fun tidbits for now! Hope everyone is enjoying the Spring weather back home! I'll be updating Shutterfly with ALL of the Luxembourg pictures tonight. So feel free to take a look through them!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment