Sunday, February 13, 2011

From Maastricht to Minnesota...the Trip Home.

Well, as I'm still in the blogging mindset, thought I'd start in on this next post. I was the first of my group of friends to fly home, so it was bittersweet to say goodbye, as they all had more time to spend together. A few were staying a few more weeks - to take the next, smaller block of classes - while the majority were flying home within a few days of each other.

I spent the rest of the day (after the walking/pictures around the city) packing as best I could and starting to say my good-byes. The next morning, I had to be checked out by early afternoon, as that was my designated 'time' with the front desk. I was TRYING to get everything to fit into my BIG suitcase, my smaller carry-on suitcase (that I was checking this time around) and my backpack (which was my carry-on.) Even with having an extra carrying item, it was still tight. I didn't feel like I even bought that much while over there. Finally, with my roommate's help, I got my side of the room all clean and all of my items either packed, or tossed in the trash. I had to make quite a few trips out there to throw things away, between papers and random things I had sitting around my room. Sadly, even my books had to get thrown. Used bookstores wouldn't take them back, and they were too big and heavy to bring home. Melinda kept them though, in case their was a place that would take them, and hers. No idea if anyone ever did!

I had arranged for a taxi to come get me and all my suitcases, so I camped out in front of the building with my friends to wait (see right). They ALL came out and laid with me in the sunshine as I waited (REALLY nice of them!). My taxi was slightly late, which really gave me a little bit of stress (imagine that), but he did arrive. After plenty of hugs good-bye and promises to stay in touch, I climbed in and was off to the train station.

I grabbed all my gear once we got there, and wandered off to check for my train and platform. I didn't struggle AS badly as when I arrived in Maastricht, but still, hauling two rolling suitcases isn't an easy feat. As soon as I knew which platform I needed to go to, I found a bench to camp out on. The train rolled in, right on time, and I hauled my crap on board. There weren't many people heading to Brussels at that time of day, apparently, so I had room to put my suitcases right next to my seat and relax.

The train ride was about an hour and half total, with one quick switch in Brussels. That one required me to haul my suitcases down a large amount of stairs, and then back up them to catch the shuttle-train to the airport. THAT was a workout, let me tell you. Once I got on that train, I was happy!

I got to the airport only a short time later and found a great spot to sit. For awhile. For over 12 hours! I haven't mentioned yet, that I had to get the airport the DAY BEFORE my flight...as my flight was early enough in the morning that the trains weren't yet running from Maastricht to Brussels. So I got to camp out, by myself, all night. BUT - I bought Internet access! I blogged during that time (I believe it was one of the Italy posts), watched a movie or two online, did a fair amount of facebook chatting and Skyping. It was perfect really, as when it got to be the wee hours of the morning, a bunch of my friends were online - as it was early in the evening for them. It kept me awake and made the time pass quickly. I even was able to view Greg graduate! Dad was sending me constant emails of the graduation ceremony (which I was missing by only a DAY!) and even a video of Greg walking across the stage! He sent it within minutes of Greg actually receiving his diploma, so it almost felt like watching it live. Pretty neat that technology can make something happening across to world, available to me, within minutes!

I also spent the majority of the night in the airport Starbucks - open 24 hours. This was AWESOME - as I really needed the bright lights, the caffeine, and the plug-in! When it got to be around 6 AM, I found my way to the check-in counter and GLADLY let them take my luggage. I got myself over to the gate to await boarding. Once I got on that plane it was a wonderful sigh of relief, yet a sad feeling. I couldn't believe I was leaving, it didn't seem like I had ALREADY been there for over 4 months. I spent the flight relaxing, watching the in-flight movie and attempting to sleep (it didn't work). 9 hours or so later, we landed in Newark!

I had a short layover, about an hour and a half and was able to Skype my parents while I hung out. Before I knew it, I was back on a plane for the VERY short flight to Minneapolis. I was BEYOND excited to land and exit the plane. And man, was I booking it through the airport! I walked down the stairs to the baggage claim and there they were! Saw Dad first, and then Mom...then saw Greg...and then DOUG! I had NO idea that Doug was coming and it was a wonderful surprise! We exchanged hugs and comments about the flight while we awaited my luggage (see left). The boys got the suitcases (which was so very lovely) and just as we were about to head out, I spotted a neon pink sign. It was my friend Chelsea! She came and had even made me a Welcome Home sign! It was wonderful to see her, especially as I was driving from the airport (with all the fam) directly to Madison. (My internship started two days later, and I had to move into my apartment!)

Out at the car, we did a little gift exchange. Mom and Dad had already received gifts in the mail from me, for their respective birthdays. But, the boys hadn't seen theirs yet! For Doug I had got a great stein in Germany and for Greg, an old map from Italy! The boys were both excited (or so they said) about their particular piece of Europe and we did a little photo shoot to commemorate. Greg even had a surprise for me! He had sketched, beautifully, the picture of me on the bridge! (Photos of all of this, below.)




The next 10 hours were a complete blast. We ate at BW3's on the way to Madison - which I had REALLY missed and then we all stayed up late at the hotel in Madison. We hung out in the pool until the wee hours until we all finally hit the sack. At this point, I had been awake over 36 hours - which I do believe is a personal record.

The next day we got me moved in, with only a few little hiccups.

Overall, that adventure home was a long one - but lots of fun moments. Whether it was Starbucks at 3:30 AM, or walking down the stairs to see ALL my fam at the airport or the delicious B-Dubs or the late night at the hotel. It was a wonderful end to an outstanding semester.

Next will be the (hopefully highly anticipated) FINAL, Europe Top List. I don't know how long it will be, five, ten...we'll have to see. But - I am excited to write it. So, stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I got a little teary...reading all your final posts and seeing all your pictures of where you spent your 4 - 5 months of 2010 studying and getting know a group of friends from around the world. So cool, Bets! Anxious to read your final thoughts and photos of your experience. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEELLLOOOO...we ppl out here are still waiting...
    TOP TEN of studying in the Netherlands-perhaps!
    It's 2011...and we are snowed in, in the midwest...
    a conclusion on this blog would be wonderful!
    Can't wait! I have a mug of cocoa ready to sip...please oh, Betsy, please
    finish!!! Love ya! a little bird, from Mankato,MN

    ReplyDelete