Monday, January 25, 2010

Hallo Maastricht!



Wow. That's all I can think when I look back at the last day and a half. Although it's only 2 PM back home, I FEEL like's it's the 9 PM it is here. Due to the need for SLEEP. So...synopsis of the travel day: flights all went well, were on time, and no strange people sitting next to me. In fact, I never had anyone next to me. That was very nice - so I just spread out over all the seats! Once I arrived in Brussels, I was expecting a long wait at customs...and even longer to get bags. I had my bag within 15 minutes of getting off the plane. Unexpected - but wonderful! Next up - the train. I have never been on a legit train before - as in, not the light-rail in Mpls, but an actual train. I found out, the train is literally exactly like the light-rail. Who knew? ANYWAY...so picture me, small and looking a little frazzled, hauling one rather large and heavy suitcase and a decent size carry-on...DOWN STAIRS. That was me at the train station. I had lots of people offer to help, but I was too afraid they'd take my bags...finally this old man, as in a bit fragile looking, helped me carry my suitcase down the last four-five steps. Didn't I feel weak. Haha. Then the matter of what train to get on...as I was way early for the one I had planned on taking. I finally picked up some English being spoken down the platform...wheeled my crap in that direction...and met some lovely girls my age who were going to studying abroad in Italy. They helped me out with which car to get on, and which train to get on, and which stop to get off at. This all repeated itself at the next train transition - minus the girls, but lots of me rolling my bags around trying to read the signs looking lost. Humorous I'm sure to someone watching. Made it successfully on the train to Maastricht, and successfully off at the right time. Found my ride to the place I'm staying at okay too, which was a relief. I had some struggles with the ATM and with my Internet today, but figured it out! With no tears! I even learned a bit about the city, as I had to walk to the school building for Internet help. SO...all in all...here are 10 fun facts about my first day:

1) Everyone here refers to the Netherlands as Holland, not the Netherlands.
2) Electric converters don't need to be used with a laptop...the plastic melts off the converter...found that out the hard way.
3) Pubs in the Netherlands play the exact same music as bars back home. Example: Come On Eileen.
4) Hong Kong students love the Netherlands. I am the only non-Hong Kong student on my floor thus far.
5) I CAN drink the tap water. Which is good, because water is NOT free at restaurants. Bummer.
6) All the streets are cobblestone. All of them. (In Maastricht at least.)
7) When people ask, "so where are you from?"...they don't mean what college, or what city, or even what state. The country is all that really matters. U-S-A!!!
8) Maastricht believes in traffic circles. Lots of them. Everywhere.
9) Cars don't run over pedestrians like in Mpls, they stop at crosswalks and wave you across. How lovely. :)
10) They don't eat a lot of ketchup. At McDonalds you pay EXTRA for ketchup. I was told this, no worries people, I did not already go to a McDonalds.

....that's all for now. Going to see if anyone is on Skype...read a bit...then sleep until I wake up. Tomorrow brings grocery shopping, bedding shopping, getting my cell plan set up, and getting a picture taken for my visa. Should be an eventful day! "Tot vegende tijd..."

***Above pictures are from the train station. I caught the train to Maastricht from the Brussels-Nord station...and the picture on the right - that was when I FINALLY saw I was waiting for the right train. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything is going well!
    -Evan

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG OMG OMG I was sooo excited to read this!!!! Sounds like you're having a very interesting and fun time. Makes me want to go to Maastricht too. :) And of course I had to laugh when I read the part about Hong Kong students. You should tell them all about your Chinese friend and how she took you to Dim Sum and how you ate moon cakes! Btw, Chinese New Years is the same day as Valentine's Day so you should impress them with that tidbit of knowledge! Okay, I'm done rambling. Ttys hopefully!

    -Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bets your daily logs will make us all giggle a little...Take a nap and then enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad everything is going well! The highlight of this post is the top-10 "fun facts." Very nice. Good luck with your errands today!

    -Doug & Laura

    ReplyDelete