Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Grocery Shopping


Well today I figured I should probably go buy some food - as we must cook for ourselves! Didn't think much more than getting myself to the store. Once I arrived, remembered, DUH - EVERYTHING IS IN DUTCH! Like really, no English on ANYTHING. So...that was fun. Picked out things that I knew were obvious, like bananas, bread, spaghetti noodles, jam, eggs, etc. Pretty basic stuff. And pretty cheap too! It was all under 10 euros! I had one minor glitch...I didn't realize that they don't have scales at the checkout, so I needed to weigh the bananas and then get a sticker before I checked out. I just said I wouldn't get them, as there was a LARGE line behind me at the checkout. And they don't really have bags at the checkout either - surprise!. What they do have were flimsy tiny bags that I could barely fit three items in. So I was trying to quickly bag my stuff, put my money away, and meanwhile, the whole line of people are watching/waiting. Haha...oh well. I then am carrying my groceries (in my arms because the bags would break if I carried them normally) and spotted the store with sheets etc. [We had to bring our own sheets/towels, or buy them here. I chose to buy them here. So...last night was pretty amusing with no sheets! Thanks to Lauren - my sleep-sack was what I slept in!] So found towels, a duvet and duvet cover...not TOO expensive. Success! But - hauling it all back the three blocks with the groceries was a workout!!! I'll need to buy things that aren't in cans...or if they are...bring my backpack!

So tonight for dinner - I cooked (on my hot plate) myself grilled cheese, scrambled eggs and ate it with applesauce!! YAY!! I finally get to shower today (I know I know...gross) and then I'll be heading out with my new friends from Finland to a pub close by! Should be a fun evening. More to come tonight/tomorrow!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Bets! We'll be traveling vicariously through you and your postings. Thanks for sharing some fun and interesting aspects of your adventures. Enjoy and be safe!

    Tom & Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bets..
    Isn't it all great.. fun , exhausting and exhilarating. When I traveled to Denmark for busines, the first few times I thought 'Wow'. Yeah the small bags or no bags, I remember that. Oh.. it will be great Betsy. You will do well. Meg ( Med ?) venlig hilsen, Patti Kramlinger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy, so great to be able to catch up with what's happening in your very interesting life.
    Remember when you were in third grade and were such a shining star with your wonderful reading and writing success. Enjoy your time in the Netherlands! I will enjoy reading your blogs.
    Your mom sent me your blog address.
    Ione Barron

    ReplyDelete