Wednesday, February 3, 2010

PBL - what is that??

It was QUITE difficult to get myself into the mindset of school again this week...as this Winter Break lasted so long. Having a whole week last week of just frivolous activities made this week of class that much harder. Nevertheless, it still had to happen. So, I figured I should explain a bit about how classes work here.

Maastricht uses a teaching method called Problem Based Learning (PBL) and is the INTENT of most U.S. 'discussions' that are held jointly with lectures in classes. BUT - here they actually focus on the PBL and NOT lectures. Let me explain. The courses are structured with reading text, articles, and completing problems in advance - depending on the topic - so that you are fully prepared to discuss when you arrive at tutorials (their word for 'discussions'). Tutorials are two hours in length and the focus is literally discussion. The tutors who lead them say very little, if anything, and your grade depends very heavily on how much you contribute and discuss the ideas of that week. The idea is then that you truly LEARN the material, as through discussion and debate you understand the topic on a deeper level. You aren't simply commiting terms to memory. Lectures are held very minimally, and in some courses, not at all.

Also, they use a block system here, not a semester system. I'm taking Block 4 currently and will also be taking Block 5. Block 1 starts back at the beginning of the academic calender in the Fall. Each block goes for about 7 weeks and then is followed by the week of exams. I'll only be taking two courses in each block, but with as much reading and preparation that is required, it won't feel like a lighter load by any means. Needless to say, this semester won't be easy or necessarily hard, just different.

I'm taking Consumer Behavior and Management Accounting for this block. CB is in my major of Marketing, so I feel more comfortable and interested with that class. Accounting I like - due to my like for order and neatness with numbers - but that's more under Financial Accouting. Managment Accounting is more real-life, about the theoretial basis of accounting, and how businesses must base decisions off of it. This class will be more out of my element, but I hope to learn a lot in the process.

On a side note - today I made a cheeseburger macaroni of sorts...which turned out not half bad...but got me thinking. If anyone reading this has some SIMPLE but GOOD recipes that are made using JUST a stove-top - I'd love to hear about them! I have no oven, microwave or freezer, but DO have a fridge. I need to start learning what to make other than spaghetti and grilled cheese. :) Your suggestions are welcome!

Tomorrow is my off day, as I've mentioned before - so groceries, more Paris planning, and "me" shopping are all on the docket. Oh yes, AND studying. :) More to come later this week...

2 comments:

  1. recipe... here is what i do.

    i take cans of black beans, kidney beans, and garbanzo beans and drain them.

    i take a can of diced tomatoes undrained.

    i put it all in a pot and let it cook for a little bit.

    maybe if i am feeling adventurous i will throw in a clove of garlic and some onions...

    i cook that stuff down for like fifteen minutes until it is thick and tasty.

    then i eat it for the following days thusly,

    on eggs.
    on toast.
    on pasta.
    on rice.

    i really like to mix it up and put it on toast and then put an egg on top. it is tasty.

    goodluck betsy, i am glad that it sounds like you are having fun. minnesota misses you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. alllso

    this is a useful/exciting food blog if you are looking for more ideas!

    http://smittenkitchen.com/

    ReplyDelete