Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More Roma Tomatoes

Continuing on with where we left off...Day #2 in Rome:

We wanted to start the day back at the Palatino Hills, which was the area we had such a good view of from the Colosseum. The tickets we had bought for the Colosseum were also for this area - which was wonderful on our wallets. It was a bit overcast at the beginning of the day, but I wasn't going to give in to the clouds. Sundress day it was! (Though I was realistic too - I brought a cardigan.)

We walked around the Hills for a good couple hours that morning. Most are ancient rocks that stick up out of the earth, resembling only slightly the buildings they used to be. This area also overlaps with the Roman Forum hill area - also ruins you can walk through. We took lots of pictures, but they eventually started to look the same. Like a bunch of rocks. When that realization hit us, we knew it was time to press on! (See above left for some steller statue poses and on the right - a great group shot in the Palatino Hills)

If you know me - you know what was up on the docket next. LUNCH. We found a great little spot right across the street from the Roman Forum. It was a bit crowded but we glimpsed a pizza coming out of the kitchen - which was the selling point. We each ordered our own pizza. Before you judge, take a look at the picture. You would also order yourself your own pizza, right? I thought so.

Gelato came next - naturally. This was a great mint chocolate chip (my favorite ice cream flavor = fun fact), so it was one of my favorite gelato flavors too. :) Again - no spillage on my white clothing. (Take this time to practice your silent cheer. If you must reference the previous post to learn the cheer again, please take the time to do so.)

Our group made our way back to the Pantheon, to see the inside of this architectural giant. The oculus on top is world-famous, and the architectural skill used to complete the Pantheon still stumbles today's architects. It's amazing to stand in something and have no idea how it was created. It's a strange but unbelievable feeling. The inside was packed with people, but we took our time taking in the marble and stone and the awesome shape. (See right)

The Spanish Steps were next (see below) - which have a bit of a strange history to them. (I encourage you to look up the Wikipedia site - as I don't want to bore you with the historic details if you'd rather not know. History buffs would find it interesting, I'd imagine.) About this time the overcast sky was looking more ominous. We did sit for awhile, taking in the view and a wedding that was going on nearby. But, the clouds did open up a bit - and we had to dash to find the closest dry place. Walking in the rain isn't that pleasant, even with my wonderful plaid umbrella from Venice. McDonald's was the closest place, and was actually a cool find.

This McDonald's was the fanciest one I've ever been to. There was a separate cafe area where you could order specialty coffees, much like Starbucks. It was two stories and sported comfortable booths and tables and quite the upscale wall decor. It was in this McDonald's that a Top Ten event occurred. (Quite a funny one - and one you can replicate. Intrigued? Good.)

Once we'd had enough fries, fancy coffees (see right) and apple pies, we felt it was time to get back out and see Rome. The rain hadn't let up however, so we decided to split up and head back to the hostels. We got back together to go out for dinner in a few hours.

The dinner location was exciting for me that night - as it came highly recommended from my Alpha Chi Big Sis - Lauren Stoneberg. She studied in Milan a year ago, and her family came to visit her - and they all came to Rome. They went to this particular restaurant and told me I had to go taste it for myself. I got my whole travel family excited about going, because I talked about it so much. (Can you imagine such a thing?) We had a bit farther of a walk than our directions from Google led on, but we did manage to find it amongst the twisted Roman streets. We were shown back to the patio area, now covered (as it was STILL pouring). We ordered bruschetta and wine to start off...and then I ordered myself gnocchi (see right). This was a specific recommendation from Lauren - and SUCH a good one! Although the picture may not look appetizing, it was one of the most filling and delicious pastas I've ever had. It got so that I had a few little dumpling balls left, and eating just one more was painful to do. My poor stomach was filled to the brim. I had three little balls left on my plate when it was taken away. They gave me three dumpling balls too many, silly them.

We left that night, with a bill a bit higher than normal, but our stomachs were happier than normal - so we were content overall. We had a good time walking home that night, a Top Ten moment in fact occurred. Our multiple carafes of wine made have had something to do with this. You'll get a chuckle, promise.

That was the end of Day #2, and I'm just getting to the good stuff! Day #3/#4 were full of great and wonderful surprises. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I will definitely read it all once I have time, because I leave for Maastricht in the first september for two years studying abroad and I think your experience will help me a lot!

    so thank you, for writing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all anxious to find out more from you, Betsy! What happens next? Where did you go? When did you return home? How was the trip home? What are you up to now...and so on?
    Da Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heellloooooooo! What happened next Betsy...we are all wondering?
    Where did you go, what did you do, what did you see, and of course, what is your top 10 for Roma? We are all out here dangling...Please don't leave us this way!!!
    Guess who?
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete